I’ve been in Boise all month! I’m enjoying my team here - I’ll make sure to write about my time here after I return home to California. This month, I’ve been really motivated to write - I’ve published 5 blogposts! Hopefully the habit sticks.
At work, I’m devoting about half my time to recruiting. Running several interviews a day is pretty stressful for an introvert like me. If you are or know a software engineer looking for work, help me out by checking out our job description here!
- I’m dealing with what I suspect to be Athletic pubalgia - a sports hernia. I’ve had to cut back on both running and core work, but most weight room exercises seem to be OK.
- I’ve been going to Axiom Parkcenter while I’m in Boise - it’s a pretty great gym (see Estimating Gym COVID Risk for evidence that gyms aren’t that risky right now)!
- Recovering Lost Roam Notes
- Why Clojure?
- My 2020 California Ballot
- Estimating Gym COVID Risk
- Freelap Tips
- roam-restore - see this post for my motivation here
- See my Projects page for details
- Pushed a bunch of changes to jeffchen.dev - some specifics include:
- blog post pagination
- installed Google Analytics
- focused on Lighthouse metrics - improved my performance score from ~60->~90
This month, I started using Readwise, which will hopefully help me retain information that I read a little better. It also has a great Roam integration!
- Lab Rats: How Silicon Valley Made Work Miserable for the Rest of Us by Dan Lyons
- Lies My Teacher Told Me: Everything Your American History Textbook Got Wrong by James W. Loewen
Links & Quotes
- Deconstructing (and Reconstructing) the Depth Jump for Speed and Power Performance | SimpliFaster
- What Kind of Groin Pain Do You Have? - Squat University
- A spreadsheet for Sprint acceleration Force-Velocity-Power profiling – JB Morin, PhD – Sport Science
- Sunshine, Dopamine, and Sprinting | SimpliFaster
- How do blood sugar levels affect body temperature? - Levels
- 7 Alternative Strength Training Movements for Hamstring Development
- Making a Difference in Athletic Performance | SimpliFaster
- The Role of Compression Garments in Performance and Recovery
- Are You Doing a Good Job as a Sprint Coach?
- Choosing the Management Track
- Learnings from Keith Rabois: Evaluating and Hiring Executives - Startups
- How a one line change decreased our build times by 99%
- CSS Grid full-bleed layout tutorial
- I’ve been an engineer and a recruiter. Hiring is broken. Here’s why… and what it should be like instead
- How to type 3x faster
- How to interview engineers
- Engineering Recruiting Lessons Learned
- The Macroeconomic Consequences: Trump vs. Biden
- Civil Liberties In Times of Crisis
- My California ballot, 2020