October was my first full month in Atlanta since May—but I still found a way to get out of town for a couple of weekends. We have more travel upcoming in November and December, which is exciting but also maybe a bit too much.
- 🟡 Get 1% faster. I tweaked my hamstring—time will tell how long I’m out, but it seems certain that my training will be affected for at least a couple weeks.
- 🔴 50% less discretionary spending. October’s discretionary spending was 19% under 2020’s average, buoyed by the couple travel weekends I had—a wedding in San Antonio, a weekend in Clayton, and upcoming travel to New York.
- 🟡 One hour of solitary free time a day.
- 🟡 Twice-weekly live conversations with friends.
Track & Fitness
- I ran a couple Freelap-timed 150s in 16.82 and 16.85 (with 15 minutes in between). It’s an exciting preseason performance—the only comparable I have is a hand-timed 16.7 in college the season before I ran a 7.06 60m on a bum hamstring.
- I strained my hamstring the week afterwards (yesterday). It seems pretty minor, but it’s still really frustrating to hit a roadblock after stringing together a few good months.
- That’s two hamstring injuries, to the same leg, within a few months. Something clearly has to change—with technique, training, or both.
- Dune by Frank Herbert
- This Is Your Mind on Plants by Michael Pollan
- Foundation and Earby by Issac Asimov
- Foundation’s Edge by Issac Asimov
- The Penguin History of the World by by J.M. Roberts, Odd Arne Westad
Links & Quotes
Software & Tech
- Starship is Still Not Understood
- Lambda School’s Job-Placement Rate May Be Far Worse Than Advertised
- Apple’s M1 Pro, M1 Max SoCs Investigated: New Performance and Efficiency Heights
- Speed up your ClojureScript Webapp
- How to Evaluate Startup Offers - A Beginner’s Guide
- Why I Hate Frameworks
- How Tech Companies Should Compensate Their Remote Workers
- How much slower is remote work?
- A comprehensive guide to managing secrets in your Terraform code
- And You Will Know Us by the Company We Keep
- Memcached vs Redis - More Different Than You Would Expect
- Boyd’s Management Model
- 20 Things I’ve Learned in my 20 Years as a Software Engineer
- Looking for Tether’s Money
- Where’s the 69 Billion Backing the Stablecoin Tether?
Track, Fitness, & Health
- The Difference Is in the Start
- Does Covid Cause Significant Brain Harm?
- Analyzing the Olympic 100-meter sprints
- Beyond Smart
- Willingness to look stupid
- Getting Unstuck
- What to learn
- Pursue High-quality Leisure
- Some reasons to work on productivity and velocity
Enjoyed this post? Follow me on Twitter for more content like this. Or, subscribe to my email newsletter to get new articles delivered straight to your inbox!Scroll to top