Just as I’ve settled into a pretty good groove in Atlanta, I spent the past few days driving across the country again, this time to Livingston, Montana where I’ll be spending the next two months! It’s the best time of year to be in Montana, and we absolutely loved it when we visited neighboring Wyoming last fall.
- 🟡 Get 1% faster. I raced once in June—a 100 in a rainy 11.05. I only have one more chance this season to set a big PR, at the USATF Masters Outdoor Championships in a few weeks. I have my taper planned out—I’m confident that weather permitting, I’ll have some great races.
- 🔴 50% less discretionary spending. I spent 22% less on discretionary things than my 2020 average. It’s been death by a thousand cuts—I’ve just been spending more on little things. Hopefully I do better in July.
- 🔴 One hour of solitary free time a day. Despite my work-life balance being better than it’s been in a while, I haven’t been spending my extra time very wisely. Mostly it’s been mindless browsing.
- 🟢 Twice-weekly live conversations with friends. Back into the green!
Track & Fitness
- I have just about two weeks until my 10-day taper starts—I’m going to spend them building up a little more power, strength, and speed endurance.
- I’ve introduced a couple variations into my program:
- Ins-and-outs help me build speed endurance and help me feel what the second 50m of the 200 should feel like.
- Heavy hang and power cleans in the weight room for more powerful block starts
- NFL Combine Stats lets you find the NFL player whose athletic profile is most similar to yours! Mine are Stacy Coley, Darius Hanks, and DaVaris Daniels.
- Meet Report: 2nd Annual Sunset Summer Classic
- Where Are The Asian-Americans In Track?
- My Sleep Stack
- Atlanta: First Impressions
I didn’t finish any books in June! I’m currently working through two books:
Links & Quotes
Track, Fitness, & Health
- Are Static Jumps the Missing Element in Your Jump Training?
- Myths in Cycling: Wider Tires Are Slower
- Using MuscleLab for Sports Performance
- Tapering for Speed-Power Events: A Look At The Science
- What Time of Day Is Best for Training Athletes?
Software Engineering & Startups
- Tour of our 250k line Clojure codebase
- Real-world CSS vs. CSS-in-JS performance comparison
- Metastable Failures in Distributed Systems
- I Read The Entire Cybersecurity Executive Order… Here’s What You Need To Know
- Reasons why bugs might feel “impossible”
- The 25 Micro-Habits of High-Impact Managers
- The Document Culture of Amazon
- Working with Andreas - a user guide
- Django for Startup Founders: A better software architecture for SaaS startups and consumer apps
- Offline Policy Evaluation: Run fewer, better A/B tests
Thinking & Productivity
- Moral Costs Of Chicken Vs. Beef
- A first lesson in meta-rationality
- How to think clearly
- I Will Not Eat The Bugs
- Don’t Kill Time
- How I take notes in meetings
- How to Work Hard