I’m writing this from Denver—I’m moving to Atlanta! We’re driving across the country with a car full of stuff. Packing and moving has reminded me just how much stuff I’ve accumulated. Even after a few car loads of donations, we’re still bringing a lot!
- 🟢 Get 1% faster. I ran a 200m time trial early in the month at 22.02. This is a little slower than I’ve run previously, but it was into a nasty headwind. I also managed a PR in the 30m fly at 2.92.
- 🟢 50% less discretionary spending. My spending in April has trended up, especially in the last couple of weeks, where I’ve been eating out with friends and on the road. That said, my total discretionary spending has still been 62% lower than my 2020 average spend!
- 🔴One hour of solitary free time a day. I’m not doing well.
- 🟢 Twice-weekly live conversations with friends. I managed another green month!
Track & Fitness
- I’m pushing 200 pounds, which is a little bit above my goal weight of 198. Moving to Atlanta probably won’t be great for my weight either…
- Now that I’m in the way-more-open Southeast, I have a lot of track meets scheduled for May and June! I’m pumped to get out and compete again.
- In my first squat session in over a year, I hit a PR of 385lbs!
- I got vaccinated!
- Be a Tryhard
- A Week of Self-coached Sprint Training
- Co-opting addictive media for good
- The Buck Stops With You
Links & Quotes
Software engineering & startups
- How to make video calls almost as good as face-to-face
- Diátaxis - A SYSTEMATIC FRAMEWORK FOR TECHNICAL DOCUMENTATION AUTHORING.
- How to avoid rehydration problems with Gatsby and React SSR
- Embrace the Grind - Jacob Kaplan-Moss
- Ramp’s Double-Unicorn Rounds: Behind the Scenes
- The Architecture Behind A One-Person Tech Startup
- The mother of all demo apps
- Surprisingly Slow
- Breaking GitHub Private Pages for $35k
- The Daily Standup is a Waste of Time
- 6 InfoSec Practices Your Startup Needs Now
- The Sans Selection: how we picked sans-serif for long-form web magazine FiftyTwo
Track & Fitness
- Allyson Felix: Daily Routine
- Prions Are Going to End the World
- Anxiety Is in Your Body, Not Your Mind
- Loren Seagrave, Director of Speed & Movement/IMG Academy, the RBR Interview, Part 2
- Loren Seagrave, Director of Speed & Movement/IMG Academy, the RBR Interview
- The Revenge of the Yankees
- Universal Love, Said The Cactus Person
- Why is Everything Liberal?
- Unorthodox Financial Advice
- Value Of Time Calculator
- Streaming High-Speed Rail Crayoning
- Metcalfe’s Law for High-Speed Rail
- Opinion: Why America’s prisons are an unconstitutional moral horror
- Against Hickelism